16.4.06

光影筆記本59/Out of Africa (1985)

The score of 'Out of Africa' is one of my favourite CDs of all times.. I own a cassette tape, to be exact, I still keep it in my room at home. I forgot how I came to like the music but never watched the film until today!

It does not look like a 21-year-old film.. An epic as it is usually referred to as, it is indeed well made looking at it from many angles, and the romance, which although can't compete with the landscape or the music, is touching, probably as fiercely as the wind in the African fields.

To be completely frank, toward the end of the film I was falling asleep... not because it got boring or the pace went slow, but because the portrayal is somehow too realistic to fascinate me this afternoon... I mean, woman, you fall for the free-spirit, then no one can help you when you get upset because he likes to go wandering around, and only when he needs you will he come back to you staying home listening to your stories...

Writing this till here, I'm reminded of a short story by Jeanette Winterson, about Orion and Artemis...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wanyu, did you know that John Barry was born in York? Of course he now lives in Hollywood...