12.4.06

光影筆記本58/East Is East

I was still pretty keen to see more about Asian cultural heritage in Britain, so I went for a video. I AM after all a person living in the eletronic age and I prefer to hear something fictional and reject the rather stony reality...

The main story is about a British father who is originally from Pakistan but married to an English woman. He tries to give his Britain-born-sons happiness by forcing them into arranged marriages with girls from his home country. He says only by doing so can they all together avoid disgrace.

The film's set in the 70s, but some say arranged marriages still exist today. This reminds me of a song I heard when I went to an event earlier this year, the song singing about a girl in an arranged marriage who later on falls in love with her 'assigned husband'. I might be totally wrong about the concept of that song though.

'East is east' is clearly an over-simplified statement but I'm not accusing the author for stereotyping; I think he's rather asking readers/audience to rethink about what's long been taken for granted.

There's more I feel like writing here, about the old couple's love, about the little boy, and about some of the witty dialogues (the film being an adaptation from theatre!) but since not long ago I've started to have some doubts about my ability to write a review or anything really. That BBC NY website I write reviews for asked if I want to do a 12-month placement with them as an arts reporter, which flattered and encouraged me (but I'm too old anyway, way older than 21...), but it also makes me rethink about how seriously I can really take it, about my writing.

I love to write, but I can't just love to write, can I?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you understood the song perfectly. But one might need very good luck to be happy in his/her arranged marriage.

You don't "just" love to write, as far as I know, you also love to know. and these two qualities make you a good and knowledgeable reporter.

Anonymous said...

I really love that film. I didn't think about it really like you have - I just thought it was funny! I'd like to see the theatre production though!

I just got back from my half-hour visit to York! On the way back I stopped off at Fopp (oops) and managed to get the Yoshimi album for a fiver and also the new Mogwai, which is good so far!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wanyu, you put yourself down too much. The fact that the BBC invited you for a placement shows that they must think your writing style is good. It was the BBC not just any old local news organisation. You should see that as a real comendation to your abilities.

Anonymous said...

thanks for kind words guys