27.12.06

光影筆記本/Memoirs of a geisha

Memoirs of a two-day journey reading Memoirs of a geisha

My aunt put in my bag a couple of books for my cousin living in a town near here, which is why I got to read this book by Arthur Golden--finished it in one go: started reading when I was killing time in Frankfurt at 7AM, and put it down when I almost arrived in York at 5PM.

The book kept me interested so it was quite good, and my interest in its film version grew stronger as I read on. On boxing day I bought this DVD because it cost only 6 quid.

I must admit I like this actor Zhang Ziyi. I can't relate to the character in the book, Chiyo/Sayuri, and I read the book/watched the film indifferently, but it is pleasant looking at her--such a stunner!--if only she did not need to say a word--it is painful hearing the actors struggling with lines. A huge pity indeed. If only this were a silent film... colours and movements already say a lot, so speak no more, you add nothing more...

Digging out some old reviews, I found that a critic I like did not appreciate that this book/film praised old/false traditions, well, I have no comment on that, I care very little about it while I did the reading. On second thought, I am sad I am shallow, but I can't help that.
[Philip French's review]

I also found an interview: a journalist spoke to Robin Swicord, who adapted the novel for the screen. I was pretty amazed at the anecdotes behind the project, and delighted to hear that the author helped with the adaptation. I imagined nice atmosphere at the teamwork: a helpful author with a story, the open-minded Robin and her skills, and the director who is capable of making the project work. Intensive process of writing and then the willingness to humbly welcome criticism. I see beauty in this.
[Jeremy Kay's report]

No comments: