23.4.06

光影筆記本61/The Squid and the Whale


This is a good film, go see it if you have the time. I like the poster..


But to be frank I was more enjoying the company than the film--don't get me wrong, there are some good bits and artistic accomplishments in the writing and camera work, as well as the acting. However, J and I both thought that we could not really like any of the characters; although Frank, the 'pickle', is cute, yet his behaviours...anyway! How very odd to have to take the boy's point of view and see things!!

A crisis, everyone's stuck, and everyone's locked in his/her own perspectives. No way to see through the mist.

The similarity between the father and the son is a laugh--he grows physically older but is as pompus and insecure as his 16-year-old son. Contempt....




And the song 'Hey You' by Dean Wareham
Hey you,
Out there on your own,
Sitting naked by the phone,
Would you touch me?
Hey you,
With your ear against the wall,
Waiting for someone to call out,
Would you touch me?
Hey you,
Would you help me to carry the stone?
Open your heart, I'm coming home.

But it was only fantasy.
The wall was too high, as you can see.
No matter how he tried he could not break free.
And the worms ate into his brain.

Hey you,
Out there on the road,
Always doing what you're told,
Can you help me?
Hey you,
Out there beyond the wall,
Breaking bottles in the hall,
Can you help me?

Hey you,
Don't tell me there's no hope at all.
Together we stand, divided we fall.

1 comment:

jennywren said...

Yes, I didn't really like any of the characters, probably because I couldn't relate to any of them... Their behaviour seemed so irrational... But I guess people do go about things that way! And that song... it's good!