1.12.05

光影筆記本52/The Constant Gardener

a memorable film by Fernando Meirelles, the director of 'City of God'

This film should be seen by more people... (well, fairly busy in the small cinema..)
I was constantly having to try not to shed tears. I don't cry these days.

Hopefully people who were attracted to see this film because of its director or actors or its good reputation on cinematography work, went home zealously wanting to do something to stop our world going dead.

Some say this is a love story told through a thriller. Well, yes, but the loss of a beloved wife seems so less sad than that of the other painful scenes. A little kid is refused help, because 'there're billions there, you couldn't save them all'; two little kids posing for the camera singing happily, and the bird's-eye view of some African territories...so beautiful, but also so destroyed.

Justin (Ralph Fiennes) only learns to love Tessa (Rachel Weisz, my new favourite actor) after he has lost her forever. The man undergoes a sort of self-discovery, only after everything's ruined and deprived of him. What's the use of this love and such awakening.



I almost missed this film. I would have regretted not seeing it.
Instead, I saw it at the right time, with a right person.

We both looked upset when we were wrapping ourselves up to face the cold outside of the cinema. Then I asked: 'is that a true story you think?'

'Well, I am sure these things happen...'

How depressing.. Testing new drugs on African people; these evilheads' fucking logic goes 'they would have died anyway, of hunger, of AIDS, or of wars.' I know this is from a fiction, but I am stunned..


Peter Brashaw, The Guardian's film critic said: [click here to read the full review]
'The film is about betrayal, personal and political, but it provides a new perspective on EM Forster's remark about whether to betray one's friend or one's country. This is about being betrayed by one's country and one's friend; the two types of treason are conflated, and Justin finds himself in the midst of a Greeneian purgatory as he finds out more and more about what has been happening behind his back....'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Streamside song is really beautiful!

Richard said...

Wanyu,

You're right: we both have great music taste! Sadly my nasty departmental computer won't play your music. But I'm sure it's great.

How's the snow? Or has it all gone?

I really liked The Constant Gardener, but it was very sad: sad in a proper enough way to make me feel really miserable afterwards. I think that both of the leads were great in it.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I missed the film because it's a thriller! I am a coward, and I hate to be scared....And I want to avoid very sad stuff...I am already stressed out with work. :<

But now I think I will rent it.

Oh, and I just bought Sigur Ros' tic for next Feb! They will perform at a concert hall, a little odd. Well, last time I had a concert-hall rock gig was Beck and the Flaming Lips...turned out fun. :)